So how to fix this problem with only a few days till the camping trip turned photo shoot? Well, instead of the Fredericks corset, I have decided to wear one of my other corsets - a solid black underbust with proper steel boning. But since it's an underbust it doesn't really cover up the girls, y'know, and we can't really have them hanging out for the photo shoot (even if HTB would LOVE that) Since my first love is sewing, and I make a lot of my own garb for Renaissance Faire, I have tons of fabric and patterns floating about. One of the many patterns I have is a historical pattern from Simplicity for civil war era underpinnings (pattern number 7215).
I don't really like how the corset looks in the pattern, and, again, I don't have the time or the resources to make a corset from scratch, but the chemise would definitely look good in addition to the underbust corset, skirt, and bustle I already have.
On Monday I pulled out some thin white fabric that I had and went to work cutting out the pattern and then the pieces that I needed. Connor and Murphy, our two cats, thought this was tons of fun and proceeded to attack the fabric, the pattern, and the pin cushion while I worked. Eventually I locked them up in the downstairs bathroom with some toys once Murphy got a little too close to the scissors while I was using them.
Last night (Tuesday) I started sewing everything together. Because the boys had been causing problems while I was trying to cut things out, I had forgotten to mark things like dots and tabs, so I had to go back and do all of that. First up was to attach the gussets to the shoulders. Even though I hate gussets, that proved to be relatively painless.
(I swear there are gussets there. I suspect Murphy is laying on one of them)
Then it was time to sew gores to the sides of the front and back pieces. That's where I screwed up. Apparently I marked the dots wrong, so one gore was much higher than the other. Thank God for seam rippers. I fixed that then sewed the front and back together, and then I started work on the sleeves. Somehow I managed to sew the gussets for the sleeves on wrong, so I had to take a seam ripper to those.
(The sleeves, with their gussets and flat felled seams)
By the time I finished with the sleeves I decided that it was too late to sew anything else. A friend gave me some advice once that if you sew when you're tired you're bound to make more mistakes, and then get frustrated when you have to go back and fix those mistakes, so it's just better to quit when you're ahead. I decided to head her advice.
Tonight I get to gather the sleeves, attach them to the body of the chemise, gather the front and back of the chemise and then sew on the yoke. I know it sounds like a lot, but, barring any kitty interruptions, I should be finished by Thursday. However, since I'll be out of town on Friday, I won't be able to post the finished object until next week :P
Oh, and the Harry Potter Scarves are coming along too:
That, in the middle there, is the stitch marker that the lovely Contessa made me. She has a give away going on for a custom set right now - you can enter here.