Pages

Monday, January 14, 2013

Running a Little Late...

ROW 80 updates are supposed to be posted on Sundays and Wednesdays. Even though it's not mandatory that you update on these days, I still try to stick to that schedule because I like a little structure. Unfortunately I was a bit late in updating this week for no other reason than I was completely and totally sucked into watching the Golden Globes. I didn't mean to. I'm actually not a big award show person (aside from the Oscars) but for some reason the husband turned them on last night and we proceeded to sit there and watch them, and then watch the replay, and huddle under our respective blankets on the couch.

I was able to get a little writing done here and there. TUO is now clocking in at 30568 words due to a bit I went back and added to my first chapter. I also played with one of my stories that's been sitting on the back burner ever since I decided to rewrite TUO and get it published. I've noticed that I've been doing this more and more often recently; I will keep two documents open while I write. One is the project that I SRSLY working on while the other is something fun or mindless. When I get stuck on a scene or a sentence in the serious project, I'll move over to the fun one for a moment or two and let my subconscious stew over the problem. By the time I'm done with my self imposed time out, my subconscious has worked it's magic and I know what I need to do and where to go.

On reading fronts I have finished City of Bones - which is the first in the Mortal Instruments series. Like many popular books out there, I avoided reading it due to various reasons and instantly regretted doing so as soon as I broke down and started to read it. Overall it was a very good novel, though it did have your typical young adult love triangle, and at times it reminded me of a cross between Harry Potter and Star Wars. It also felt a bit predictable - but this could be because it's been out for awhile, so I've read a few reviews and was familiar with the plot before I began to read it.

As soon as I finished City of Bones I jumped into reading Let's Pretend This Never Happened by Jennifer Lawson. It's amazing. Go out and buy it. Go read her blog as well - because it's pretty awesome too! I do have one bit of advice for when you start to read this book though; I do not recommend reading it while you're at the gym, working out. I was seriously laughing so hard at some of these stories from her childhood (specifically the one about the squirrels and then the one about the turkeys) that I had to stop the elliptical I was using and take a moment to catch my breath. Apparently laughing at the gym is a no go because I was also the recipient of quite a few glares from my fellow gym goers. Lesson learned; in the future I will only read where the only person who will be disturbed by my laughter is my husband and the cats.

3 comments:

  1. I like your idea of having 2 documents open at once, althought that might be twice the amount NOT to do for me!
    I had to Google let's Pretend This Never Happened after your positive comments, then add to my TBR list ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Argh, I keep hearing about how awesome "City of Bones" is and regret not reading it when I had it in my possession. I'll definitely have to stick it in the queue.

    30K words, sounds great! Keep it up!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like having two things to work on too! My brain seems to do better that way.
    Also, I have Let's Pretend This Never Happened on order, and have read her blog! I wish she was my friend--so unbelievably funny.
    I've yet to read City of Bones, but I did listen to Clockwork Angel--loved it.
    And 30k+ is awesome!

    ReplyDelete