Pages

Monday, December 31, 2012

Les Miserables...

I don't remember how or when I was introduced to Les Miserables - I just know it was the first musical I was ever obsessed with as a kid. While all the girls were drooling over Phantom of the Opera and Eric, I would walk between classes humming 'I Dreamed a Dream' and 'Castle on a Cloud'. So, of course, when I found out that Les Miserables was coming to the big screen, I dragged my husband to see it, and I loved every minute of it. The costumes! The sets! Anne Hathaway! Hugh Jackman! Helena Bonham Carter! And, of course, this man - Russell Crowe.

Now, I know Russell Crowe is getting a bit of crap for playing Javert. People aren't really happy with his portrayal and how he sang the songs. In his defense, Russell is an amazing musician and a lovely singer - but the part of Javert is just not his range (either that or we're just so used to hearing basses sing it that it's a shock to hear someone who isn't a bass sing it). However I think he still did a good job of playing Javert, and towards the end of the movie, when Javert begins to question who he is and everything he believes, he got a bit more emotional and his singing had a bit more oomph, and was MUCH better as a result (and much closer to what I was used to hearing as a kid)

So, today, the last meatlocker of the year, goes to you Monsieur Crowe.




No comments:

Post a Comment