Pages

Wednesday, January 8, 2014

A New Year, A New Round...

Between the holidays, work, and our vacation, it's been a very busy couple of weeks. So busy that I just gave up on posting any WIPpets, or anything else really. 

Now the holiday's are over, work has calmed down a bit, and we're back from our vacation (though we didn't want to leave...) It's a new year, and a new round of ROW 80, so it's time for some new goals!

This round I want to:
  • Write either 100 or 1000 words a day. 100 if I'm jotting them down in a notebook, 1000 if I'm using a computer. 
  • Keep plugging away at The Undying Ones and The Descendants
  • Try to figure out what to do about the serial. 
  • Add more stuff to the Etsy store
In addition to that I also want to get healthy. I don't plan on dieting, but I do plan on eating better. Also, a Planet Fitness is supposed to be opening up near us soon, so I plan on signing up as soon as I can and working out more. In addition to that, I want to get my health issues resolved. I was diagnosed with PCOS (Poly Cystic Ovarian Syndrome) and fibroids last May, but the first doctor I saw wouldn't help. My new doctor is amazing though, and we've already started the process of getting these two issues taken care of. 

And now on to the fun stuff! WIPpet Wednesday!

WIPpet Wednesday is run by KL Schwengel. To participate, just share a portion of what you are working on that some how relates to the date and add it to the linkie thing below. For example, since today is 1/8/14, I'll be sharing 8 sentences from The Undying Ones. This is from a flashback from a character that may or may not have been introduced in previous snippets. 

Her wish to die was not to be: she woke to a room bathed in firelight, still struggling to breath and burning up with fever.
Her room was strangely quiet for once. She looked around with bleary eyes, expecting someone to be sitting with her, but no priests or physicians or maids lurked in the shadows and the incense that had irritated her so much was finally gone. Had they fallen victim to the plague as well? No, there were still people nearby; she could hear boots ringing on the stone courtyard outside her window and hear voices speaking on the other side of her door.
“We found her hiding in the old miller’s house. She tried to make a run for it.” A man said, and there was a thump as something was tossed or fell to the ground.

To see more ROW 80 updates, go here
To see more WIPpet Wednesdays, go here

And be sure to check back here later this week for pictures (and possibly some video!) from our vacation to Washington!!!

14 comments:

  1. A disconcerting way to wake up. Nasty business plague - is she in any state to investigate the mysterious goings on outside?

    ReplyDelete
  2. The holidays sidelined a lot of folks. Now we're back to a long stretch of no holidays.

    Love the excerpt. Sounds as though it's a body that hits the ground. Someone that is going to be important?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, someone who is very important to the story :)

      Delete
  3. I completely get your wish to not come back from vacation... through glad you did. This was a sweet little excerpt. Set quite the tone.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well it doesn't help matters that my husband and I want to move up there someday. We were like, well, we could rent our friend's house and just have our things shipped up to us... Alas, we have too many responsibilities down here - but someday very very soon it'll happen.

      Thank you, it does really add to the environment and the story doesn't it?

      Delete
  4. My first thought was that it was a body hitting the floor too. Interesting excerpt

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good luck in the new year! I hope it's full of health and lots of good writing days.

    Thanks for sharing info about WIPpet Wednesdays. I've heard other bloggers mention it. It sounds like an interesting concept--sort of like Six-Sentence Sundays.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you!

      WIPpet Wednesdays is a lot of fun! The WIPpeteers are a great group of people and you get a lot of good feedback from it :)

      Delete
  6. Hmm... "found her hiding" makes me wonder if perhaps she's in more trouble than just having the plague.

    By the way, those button-up boots in your etsy store are fabulous. =0)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you!

      The spats are really popular right now - probably because so many people are in to steampunk - and soon, I'll have mini top hats to match them :)

      Delete
  7. I can completely understand not wanting to come back from vacation. It sounds like you have a good plan for making progress.
    My husband and I started juicing in November, it's been a great way to lose weight and once we started doing it regularly, I stopped craving sweets.
    Good luck with everything this week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Juicing sounds good, but unfortunately we don't have a juicer or the room for one, so I may end up going the smoothie route instead.

      Delete