Pages

Thursday, December 15, 2011

Barefoot in the Kitchen with Chicken Pot Pie...

When I was young, my Grannie used to buy these boxed chicken pot pie and chicken and dumpling meals and make them for dinner sometimes. I loved them. While I now know where to find those boxes (in the same aisle as the mac and cheese and hamburger helper) I wanted to try my own hand at making chicken pot pie using some of the stuff I already had in the house.

Basically I used a combination of this recipe from Pillsbury and this one from Campbell's Soup.



Instead of canned chicken or chicken pot pie soup (according to Pillsbury, Progressive makes one) I baked two skinless boneless chicken breasts at 350 degrees for 20 minutes. Then I chopped that up, added it to the pyrex dish with some Green Giant steamers we had in the freezer: garden medley and healthy weight mix. I made sure those were cooked first though! 

I opted to use a can of Campbell's Cheddar Cheese Soup instead of Cream of Chicken, and since that was so thick I mixed it up with a 1/2 a cup of milk. I then added that to the chicken and the veggies, topped it off with a can of Pillsbury Grand's biscuits, and put it in the oven at 375 degrees for about 30 minutes. 

Voila!

Overall it was pretty tasty, though I think next time I might use the basic garden mix instead of the garden medley and healthy weight steamers. I also will probably add some onions, and maybe some garlic as well (the husband loves garlic)

No comments:

Post a Comment